inscribed and dated in the margin ""St Mary Magdalene Church Horton , Northamptonshire 1884"
Church. C13 and C14, repaired and altered c.1720 at expense of Earl of Halifax; body of church restored and partly rebuilt by E.F. Law 1862-3. Coursed limestone rubble and coursed squared limestone and ironstone; slate roofs. Chancel, nave, south aisle and porch, west tower. 2-bay chancel has inverted round-arched relieving arch in ironstone below 3-light east window with C19 Decorated-style tracery and 2-light windows to south side only with C19 Geometrical tracery, all with hood moulds. Nave has central 1-light window to north side flanked by 2-light windows, all with C19 Decorated tracery and hood moulds. South aisle has similar 2-light windows and 1-light window to west end. Double-chamfered south door in C19 porch with similar doorway and 1-light window to either side with cut spandrels. Small 3-stage tower has 2-light window to 1st stage west with chamfered horizontal oval to head (renewed). Circular window to north with moulded stone surround, large clock faces to middle stage west and south with similar surrounds and 1-light chamfered bell-openings. Diagonal off-set buttresses and plain stone-coped parapet with plain pilaster slips to angles. Body of church has hollow-chamfered stone eaves. Ornamental ridge tiles to nave. Alternating bands of ironstone and limestone, to south aisle. Offset buttresses to angles of aisle and chancel. Tall elaborate C18 wrought-iron weather-vane to tower has been dismantled. Chancel has alabaster and marble reredos and dado to sanctuary with marble inlay trellis patterns to reredos, limestone quatrefoil sill band. Incorporates sedile with chamfered pointed arched head with painted and marble inlay decoration and triangular hood mould. Elaborate C19 carved corbels supporting arch-braced collar truss roof. Nave has 3-bay arcades with octagonal piers, moulded bases and capitals and double-chamfered arches. Slightly chamfered pointed tower arch. Funeral hatchment, oil on canvas. C19 stain-glass east window, east window south aisle dated 1908, south aisle windows of c.1920. Monuments: brass to Roger Salisbury d.1491 and two wives. Free-standing tomb chest to middle of chancel of alabaster with praying effigies of Lord Parr d.1546, uncle of Catherine Parr, and his wife Mary d.1555, daughter and cousin of John Salisbury. Inscription to top edge commemorating deceased: "Sir William Par Knight Lat Lorde Par of Horton and Lord Chamberlaine to the Queens Highness" and Mary his late wife. Five flat niches to long sides, separated by balusters. Mourners including bedesmen to niches, Leaf trail to plinth with hunters and hunting dogs. Pairs of shields to each end. Wall monument to Sir William Lane and family c.1580. Alabaster with strapwork and inscription to apron; small effigies of Sir William and his wife facing each other at prayer desk with children behind them flanked by obelisks and panelled pilasters, and topped by cartouche of arms flanked by winged sculls. Wall monument to Edward and Henrietta Montagu, 1756 by James Lovell. Pair of white marble urns in niches with pineapple finials. Veined grey marble ground. Inscription to apron, Tuscan pilasters flanking niches and supporting pediment with cartouche of arms. Swags and flower trails. Other C19 marble wall tablets to members of Gunning family. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, pp263-264; VCH: Northamptonshire: Vol IV, 1937, p261; Basil Clarke: The Building of the 18th Century Church, 1963, p72)