Gallery

Gallery: 
Elinor Margaret Charteris, 1865 - 1940
Reception Room Interior Kelston Park Somerset
Reception Room Interior Kelston Park Somerset
oil on canvas
53 x 36 cm. (21 x 14.1/4 in.)
Price: 
750

Notes

Kelston Park is located in the village of Kelston, approximately 3 miles from Bath in North East Somerset, England. Altogether the house and gardens of Kelston Park cover an area of approximately 75 hectares (190 acres). The house has been designated as a Grade II* listed building. The garden is Grade II* listed in the National Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.

The River Avon, Bristol & Bath Railway Path, A4 and railway track between Bristol and Bath can be viewed from the rear of the building, which is now primarily used as offices.

The first house on the site was north of the current building, beside the village church, where a walled courtyard and terraced earthworks are all that remains above ground. The original manor house was built between 1567 and 1574 by John Harington and was later finished by his son, Sir John Harington. It was intended to be one of the grandest houses in the county.

The Tudor mansion was demolished and the current house at Kelston Park was built on a ridge overlooking the Avon River, on the site of the Harington's summerhouse. It covers 13,202 square feet (1,226.5 m2) on three floors, and was built around the 1760s by John Wood, the Younger for Sir Caesar Hawkins, who was Serjeant-Surgeon to Kings George II and III. Sir Caesar Hawkins commissioned Capability Brown to lay out the park in 1767-8.

In 1828 it was sold by the Hawkins family to Joseph Neeld who built many of the outhouses. It passed down through the family to the Inigo-Jones family, who added an entrance lodge and the porch over the main entrance. Elinor Margaret Charteris married Maj.-Gen. Inigo Richmund Jones in 1888 (his second wife). Maj.-Gen. Inigo Richmund Jones married Elinor Margaret Charteris, daughter of Lt.-Col. Hon. Richard Charteris and Lady Margaret Butler, on 12 July 1888. He died on 20 July 1914. He was invested as a Companion, Order of the Bath (C.B.). He was invested as a Commander, Royal Victorian Order (C.V.O.). He lived with his wife and chidren at Kelston Park, Somerset, England.
Elinor Margaret Charteris was the granddaughter of the 7th Earl of Wemyss & March; they had one daughter and one son.

Kelston Park was leased to the Methodist Church in 1967 for use as a training centre.

In 1993 the house was purchased to became the headquarters of The Andrew Brownsword Collection, which made greeting cards and were acquired by Hallmark Cards. The offices now in the house includea number of small businesses.

Artist biography

Elinor Margaret Charteris married Maj.-Gen. Inigo Richmund Jones in 1888 (his second wife). Maj.-Gen. Inigo Richmund Jones married Elinor Margaret Charteris, daughter of Lt.-Col. Hon. Richard Charteris and Lady Margaret Butler, on 12 July 1888. He died on 20 July 1914. He was invested as a Companion, Order of the Bath (C.B.). He was invested as a Commander, Royal Victorian Order (C.V.O.). He lived with his wife and chidren at Kelston Park, Somerset, England. Elinor Margaret Charteris was the granddaughter of the 7th Earl of Wemyss & March; they had one daughter and one son.