inscribed on a plaque " The Hon/ Anne St John Trefusis b. 1763/(Mrs Maxwell Adams)."
The Hon Ann St John Trefusis was born on the 23rd April 1763, St James's Piccadilly, Westminster, she was the 2nd daughter of Robert Cotton Trefusis 1739-1778 and Elizabeth Affleck of Dlham Suffolk. The Hon Anne St John Trefusis was the second eldest sister to Robert George William Trefusis, 17th Lord Clinton 1764- 1797. . The Hon Anne St John Trefusis married Thomas Maxwell Adams of Barbados 4th July 1792. Thomas Maxwell Adams was a plantation owner in Barbados. He owned and ran the Adams Castle Plantation in Barbados.The first recorded history of Adams Castle Estate was in 1674 as seen on Forde’s map of Barbados, only 47 years after the first English settlement on the island. It was then called Hackett’s Plantation and owned by Sir Robert Hackett, who left the 400 acre plantation to his wife Dame Frances Hackett in 1679 with instructions that it would go to his son William Hackett on her death. Unfortunately for William, Frances remarried in that same year to Thomas Waldrond and the plantation passed to her husband and was renamed Waldrond’s Plantation. Frances and Thomas had two daughters, Frances and Elizabeth. The elder, Frances, married William Adams and inherited the property in 1694 upon the death of Frances Waldrond formerly Hackett. Frances and William Adams had a son, Thomas Adams who later married Margaret Maxwell. They in turn had a son named Thomas Maxwell Adams. On the death of her first husband Frances Adams remarried to the Honourable George Graeme, owner of Graeme Hall, and the estate became his. The younger sister, Elizabeth Waldrond, married James Elliot and in 1715 he began a seven year process which resulted in his ownership of the estate. On his death James Elliott bequeathed the property to his wife Elizabeth who, although remarrying to Thomas Maxwell, had no children to whom to pass the estate. Hence, on her death in 1750, Elizabeth bequeathed Waldrond’s Plantation to her great-nephew Thomas Maxwell Adams and at that time its name changed to Adams Castle. The Estate remained in the Adams family until the 1850s after which it changed hands many times among some of the leading families in Barbados including the Gills, Ashbys, Inces, Wards and Deanes Francis Alleyne was a British portrait painter, usually on a small scale. He seems to have specialised in small, oval, three-quarter lengths, usually signed on the back, which look like middle class versions of Wheatley's more elegant small portraits.